Inspired by a talk show last night, I decided to pay my homage to Star Wars- a true classic. So, I thought to myself, if I were to match any of the branches of the Humanities/Social Sciences to characters in Star Wars, which would they be? Here you have a rough guideline of some possible correspondences, just another take on inter-disciplinarity 🙂
1. Philosophy and Religion. This one was quite obvious.
2. Archaeology – It is a definite match: Han Solo. Indiana Jones in full bloom (minus the hat), and the fact that it’s the same actor it turns things into facts.
3. Classics. Queen Amidala, banished from her kingdom and protecting the values of the old ways of life (well, the Classical world was a little messier, not all Flower Power, but one can not be too picky about things)
4. Visual arts. Jar Jar Binks- emotion all the way (it’s true that lately they seemed to have taken the road towards the dark side, through topics and language, but there is still hope, Jar Jar always believed in this)
5. Economics. Jabba the Hutt. This can be taken either as a metaphor of the current situation, or as a pragmatic choice given that there are not too many merchants in the movie (and no philosopher of ecomics in there I am afraid) 🙂
6. Politics. Senator Palpatine. Quite obvious this one too.
7. Psychology. Obi Wan Kenobi.
8. Sociology. C- 3PO: he was all about people, protocol and chances of survival.
9. Anthropology. It is Alterity in it’s true colours. No quotes from this one I am afraid, not too many to chose from…
P.S: This post is intended as a humorous contribution, so hope no one will feel offended in any way- all Star Wars characters are great.